We are the midst of very troubling times, for businesses across the country. There is not a person nor a business unaffected by the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic in some way.
At Eskmills, we are home to many businesses of all sizes, across a great many industries, and we are trying to do as much as we can to support you, our valued tenants, during these difficult next weeks and months. We appreciate that this is a very stressful and uncertain time.
In this blog, we’re going to highlight the support that is available for employers, to help you understand what you can do to keep your business going and continue supporting your employees. We are closely following the official guidance and want to keep you informed.
The UK Government has set out a package of measures to help protect businesses during this period of disruption. Specifically, businesses in Scotland could benefit from the following schemes and announcements:
- Support for businesses who are paying sick pay to employees
- Support for businesses through the new Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme, via the British Business Bank. This scheme will be interest-free for 12 months
- Support for businesses paying tax, via HMRC
- Businesses will receive Government grants worth up to 80% of wages to keep workers in jobs. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme will pay up to £2,500 per worker each month
- VAT payments for the next quarter will be deferred, meaning that no business will pay any VAT for the next three months
Alongside the UK Government announcements, the Scottish Government has also announced the following package of support for businesses, worth £2.2 billion:
- Changes have been made to business rates in Scotland for 2020/2021, along with extra rates relief
- Businesses in Scotland can apply to the Business Support Fund for a grant to help them deal with the impact of the outbreak
- Businesses can use the Scottish Enterprise business support finder to find out what help is available to them during this tricky time
You can find the full Government guidance for employers and businesses here.
For more information on the support available and how to access this support, visit this link.
HMRC also also set up a helpline for businesses and self-employed people. Call 0800 0159 559 for help and advice.
From all of the team here at Eskmills, we hope that you and your teams and your families stay safe and healthy during this difficult time.